Re: Disabling IPv4

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Barry Brimer wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Barry Brimer wrote:
Quoting Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I want to seriously work with IPv6 and not have stray IPv4 functions
messing with me.

So in /etc/sysconfig/network, I commented out NETWORKING=yes. I have
NETWORKING_IPV6=yes.

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts I altered ifcfg-eth0, setting
BOOTPROTO=none. That was enough for eth0 to only have IPv6 working on
it (have IPV6INIT=yes and IPV6_AUTOCONF=yes).

But lo had IPv4. So I commented out all of the IPV4 lines in ifcfg-lo.
Still have IPv4 on lo. How do I disable that?

Try adding "alias net-pf-2 off" to your /etc/modprobe.conf
I did that and rebooted.

Then did a ifconfig and lo is still showing an inet address of 127.0.0.1

and I can ping 127.0.0.1

So that tends to imply that ipv4 is still running.

I would agree with you.

Have you tried setting ONBOOT=no in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-lo ??
No, but I do want iPv6 loopback, so I need something working for ifcfg-lo

Will try some more tomorrow....

Maybe you can try removing IPADDR and NETMASK and adding:

IPV6INIT=yes
IPV6ADDR=::1

The complete documentation for the ifcfg files is in :
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

There is a log of other documentation in this file as well .. I would just search for ifcfg once inside the file.

Hope this helps,

Barry