Re: Hard disk, format, filesystem SOLVED

Jussi Hirvi wrote:

I would have just used fdisk instead of partd.  If you are adding this
to a raid, you don't need a filesystem, just a partition of the right
size.  The contents are going to be wiped by the raid sync anyway.

Thanks for comment. Fdisk was recommended me by another experienced user
too, so there is probably a good reason. Though I don't know, what's wrong
with using parted.
BTW, this problem partition was not the raid1 partition, but a copy of the
boot partition on the startup disk. In case the boot disk ever fails, I hope
I can make the 2nd disk bootable by just installing grub.

I usually create the boot and swap partitions as RAID1 also. Swap so running processes won't crash if 1 disk fails and boot so the copy stays up to date as kernel updates are installed. But if you start with a copy of your working /boot you should be able to fix it up with a rescue-mode boot from the install CD when you need it.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx