No IPv6 - Re: vncserver on IPv6

Triggered by your comments below about the log...

Rob Lockhart wrote:
On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 3:55 PM, Robert Moskowitz
        <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

           http://www.realvnc.com/products/enterprise/4.1/ipv6.html

             IPv6 support in VNC Server E4.1.7/P4.1.2

           VNC Server E4.1.7 & P4.1.2 are fully IPv6-aware, but is shipped
           with IPv6 support disabled by default, for security
        reasons. IPv6
           can be enabled by setting "InTransports=IPv6,IPv4" (the default
           being IPv4 only), either on the command-line when starting
           vncserver under Unix

           Ok.  we have vnc-server-4.1.2-9.el5.i386.rpm, so it SHOULD
        support
           IPv6.

           Don't know how to add a setting to the command-line, as I rund
           VNCserver via the service command, but I added it to
           /etc/sysconfig/vncservers:

           InTransports="IPv6"   (note I also tried without the quotes)

           and netstat -na|grep 5902

           shows vncserver only running on IPv4 and I can only connect
        to it
           via IPv4.

           So what am I missing?????

    Rob Lockhart wrote:

        In /etc/sysconfig/vncservers I have something like this:

        VNCSERVERS="1:myusername"
        VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1400x1050 -depth 16 -localhost"

        (so I can only use localhost, which means I only allow
        connections over ssh or from the local machine).

        Yours might be something like this:

        VNCSERVERS="1:robert"
        VNCSERVERARGS[1]="-geometry 1400x1050 -depth 16
        InTransports=IPv6,IPv4"

    Well first my line has [2].  I changed that to [1] and tried all
    sorts of variants to the above, including putting a - infront of
    InTransports (like other options), and replacing the = with a
    space.  No listening on IPv6.

    I have foudn the RealVNC support mailing list and sent a question
    there, hopefully to get answers.  But if anyone has anything to
    suggest here, please do.

Robert,

I recently reinstalled VNC - actually "TightVNC" as it's better than VNC for bandwidth. If you type "Xvnc -h" you'll see all the parameters supported. I didn't see any options for IPv6 in my version. But yours might indeed have more options.

I noticed that the default /etc/init.d/vncserver script seemed to be ignoring my parameters for VNCSERVERARGS as in the log file, it showed listening for all hosts (not just local hosts). This was confirmed by connecting directly from another machine to the VNC server port (:1 which is port 5901). I had an older version of the vncserver script, and I overwrote the one from the repository with that one, and it took my parameters. However, the parameters I can confirm are working are: "-nolisten tcp -localhost -desktop RobHome -geometry 1280x1024".

Dah, log file...

First I stared at the vncserver script. I am not a script writer, but I figured out what VNCSERVERARGS has the [1] after it. That is for the ARGS for screen :1! So if I use 2, the I need [2], dah. So I did that and NO listening for port 5902. I went and read the log and found that intransport is NOT a valid option....

So now I either go to a different remote console that does support IPv6, or get the Personal version from RealVNC. Interestingly, vncviewer IS trying to connect over IPv6 it is sending TCPv6 SYNs out and getting resetted.