Re: Need to restart ypserv to update the nis maps

Theo Band wrote:
Hi

I use NIS om my network (CentOS4.6). When an update on a map occurs (home directory changed in /etc/passwd for instance), I run make -C /var/yp/ and check the result on a client. On the client I use "ypcat passwd" and find indeed that the update has propagated (the clients run ypbind service). On the client I have configured /etc/nsswitch.conf with :
passwd:     files nis
shadow:     files nis
group:      files nis

The problem is however that on the client, if I try to use the new data, it still uses the old one. For instance "cd ~john" still directs me to the old path instead of to the updated path (as correctly reported by "ypcat passwd"). To solve it I need to restart the ypserv service on the nis server for every change.

Does anyone now what could be the problem or where I should look? Apparently the OS gets password and user info using another way than the ypcat tool.

Are your running nscd on the clients?

If so, try disabling nscd and see if that make a difference.

James Pearson