Re: Need to restart ypserv to update the nis maps

Clint Dilks wrote:

Clint Dilks wrote:
Theo Band wrote:
Hi

I use NIS om my network (CentOS4.6). When an update on a map occurs (home directory changed in /etc/passwd for instance), I run make -C /var/yp/ and check the result on a client. On the client I use "ypcat passwd" and find indeed that the update has propagated (the clients run ypbind service). On the client I have configured /etc/nsswitch.conf with :
passwd:     files nis
shadow:     files nis
group:      files nis

The problem is however that on the client, if I try to use the new data, it still uses the old one. For instance "cd ~john" still directs me to the old path instead of to the updated path (as correctly reported by "ypcat passwd"). To solve it I need to restart the ypserv service on the nis server for every change.

Does anyone now what could be the problem or where I should look? Apparently the OS gets password and user info using another way than the ypcat tool.

(ypserv-2.13-18,ypbind-1.17.2-13)
Hi Theo,

As you are talking about the users homes I assume you are providing this via something like NFS?
The home directories are mounted under /home/<user>. I don't use autofs for that since I had problems with that a long time ago. So all workstations have a /home mounted with NFS.

If so it is your autofs information that controls what home gets mounted not the passwd information.
I actually have problems that passwords don't get updated. I noticed that by changing the home directory in /etc/passwd. When I change that from /home/user to /nobackup/home/user it does work with ypcat passwd (I see the correct path on the client). When I do cd ~user however, it still tries to look in /home/user instead of /nobackup/home/user. I need to restart ypserv to get this change to propagate to the workstations. That explains why a user could not log on after I reset his password and did a "make -C /var/yp".

Theo