Re: OT: Digital Video Editor for CentOS 5.2 - Suggestions?

Lanny Marcus wrote:
I will need to buy a PCI card for Firewire and put it into one of our
Desktop boxes.. Probably my wife's, because it has the biggest HD. If
it doesn't work on CentOS 5.2, we will need to use M$ Windows.

good news is, firewire cards are quite cheap. note that DV uses firewire 100, which is compatible with 100-400 but NOT 800 (sigh). so don't get a card which has only firewire 800 ports. also, you'll need a 1394 cable that has the standard firewire 100-400 connector on one end and the little tiny camcorder connector on the other (this is similar to but VERY DIFFERENT than the miniUSB connector)

bad news is, you really should have a separate drive just for video capture to reduce disk contention as the streaming rate of the capture can't be interrupted. its only around 3MB/sec, so its not /that/ bad with today's faster drives, but still.