No an Issue? Re: Reloading /etc/hosts

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
I am doing some testing and am having to make many changes to /etc/hosts

Is there a way to reload the /etc/hosts file without doing a service network restart?

I 'forgot' to restart network after a change and did a ping6 and it worked.

Ergo, I think my information is wrong and the /etc/hosts file content is not cached somewhere in the client resolver code, but read fresh each time? I am, it worked. I created a fqdn that has no connection to anything possible in DNS, and ping6 worked....

I hope that in a while I can run BIND with a bunch of faked-out zone files (did this once to crack a Vonage PAP2). But for right now, I cannot introduce BIND to the equation....