Re: File system goes read-only once in a while

Toby Bluhm wrote:
Mufit Eribol wrote:

I have a LV on RAID mounted as /mnt/raid. Then /mnt/raid/var is symlinked to /var.

I was afraid you were going to say that.

mkdir /new_var
cd /mnt/raid/var
tar cf - . | ( cd /new_var ; tar xvf - )

Make sure both dirs look the same.

Change the link to /new_var. Or remove the old link & mv /new_var /var.

reboot.
Toby, Thank you for this nice tip. It worked perfectly. The server is back in the game again.

Just for my learning experience, I would appreciate if you clarify one point though. Why are you afraid when you hear /mnt/raid/var symlinked to /var? Is something wrong with it?

Here is my fstab:
/dev/md2 / ext3 defaults 1 1 <--- md2 Software RAID1 /dev/md1 /boot ext3 defaults 1 2 <--- md0 Software RAID1 /dev/md0 /tmp ext3 defaults 1 2 <--- md1 Software RAID1
tmpfs                   /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
devpts                  /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
sysfs                   /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
proc                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
LABEL=SWAP-sda3         swap                    swap    defaults,pri=1  0 0
LABEL=SWAP-sdb3         swap                    swap    defaults,pri=1  0 0
/dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv0 /mnt/raid ext3 defaults 0 0 <--- Hardware RAID10

Before, home and var were under /mnt/raid directory and symlinked to /home and /var. Now, both directories were copied to / (md2 software RAID1) as new_home and new_var and /home and /var symlinks are now pointing to these new directories. /mnt/raid (hardware RAID10) which is the main storage of my server is not being used at the moment.

I am planning to have 2 logical volumes (for home and var separately) instead of 1. Then, they will be mounted as separate partitions as /home and /var to /dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv0 and /dev/raid_vg0/raid_lv1, respectively. Is it a good approach? Please advise.

Thank you again.
Mufit