Re: Using CentOS 5 as server; best way to setup NFSv4?

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You seem to be afraid of changing id's but that really isn't that
difficult - especially considering that it's a one time process...

http://docsrv.sco.com/UG_admin/uaT.chguid.html

next - you really should consider using ldap which is perfect for
maintaining a single account/password which can be used to authenticate
users on various machines (but that wont create their $HOME
directories). Bonus is that if you use LDAP, the samba users also have
the same uid.

NFS-4 seems to be overkill for a home LAN setup but if you do some
google searches or at least start with the official documentation on
setting up NFS-4

http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.2/Deployment_Guide/
(see section on NFS)

Craig

Thanks for the input.  What would you recommend as a home file server instead? Samba?  Also, I just got the RHCE book and am just testing things out, so it has been a nice learning experience for me.

If I were to use LDAP, what would happen if I tried to use the laptop in the absence of the server?  Is a local copy stored, ala how my work windows network works?