Re: out of memory

On Thu, 31 Jul 2008, nate wrote:

Craig White wrote:

Yeah, I have some users who despite my occasional begging to get them to shut down or at least log off, simply don't.

While it can be done with grep I like the slay command, I don't think it's available in RHEL

NAME
      slay - kill all processes belonging to a user

CentOS includes pkill (in the procps rpm), which performs the same function:

  pkill -U username

or, more severely,

  pkill -KILL -U username

That's what I use to get rid of open filehandles, esp. on NFS mounts, before shutting down shared servers.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> http://www.madboa.com/