Re: Re: Will CentOS 6's upstream be based on Fedora 10?

Scott Silva wrote:

I have always wanted a distro in-between long term support and cutting edge.

Say one that uses the kernel/command line part of a long term distro and the gui and gui apps of a cutting edge distro (maybe 1 back from the cutting edge).

An kernel upgrade cycle of say 3 years, but a GUI that stays current within it's release.

Current within the Distro's release, or current to the GUI's release?
Cutting edge is sort of the middle. On both sides you have bleeding edge and Enterprise stable. Then on the bottom you have stale and locked

At least with Centos getting a fairly current firefox and OOo in the 5.2 update things aren't quite as stale on the desktop as usual.

I think the API's and ABI's change radically in the two mainstream GUI's (Gnome and KDE). It would be a juggling act to balance their upgrades and the re-compile and re-download of all the binaries that hook into them. I think Gentoo is much closer to this then anything else, but if you leave a system too long, they can get so out of sync that they won't upgrade through portage anymore. But Gentoo upgrades the kernel along with everything else.

Couldn't it be mostly-automated to build a just slightly outdated fedora desktop (everything that depends on the KDE or GNOME libs) on top of an otherwise stock Centos?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx