Re: Re: [Ntop-misc] PF_RING crashed the CentOS5 - BUG: soft lockup - CPU#7

Scott Silva wrote:
It seems that you tried to patch the CentOS kernel and it didn't work. A patch for a newer kernel probably wouldn't apply clean, and the CentOS kernels coming from RHEL are heavily patched already. The last time I played in the kernel there were at least a hundred patches. Probably more. Any one of those could contribute to your new patch failing. I usually wouldn't recommend using a non-standard kernel on CentOS. If the kernel in the main repo or the plus repo doesn't suit your system, and you add a kernel from the main kernel.org sources, you risk de-stabilizing your system. An Enterprise linux like CentOS is designed for stability and long life and the pieces are fairly intertwined. If you need a custom patch or a newer kernel, I would just use a distribution like Gentoo or Slackware that seems to use newer parts, or see if someone already adds your patch to their current kernel.

For the record ... the number of patches in the latest RHEL-5 kernel == 1529