Re: IPCop updates, Evolution Calendar rarely crashes now

on 7-26-2008 1:05 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
On Fri, Jul 25, 2008 at 10:51 AM, Scott Silva <ssilva-m4n3GYAQT2lWk0Htik3J/w@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
on 7-24-2008 5:36 PM Lanny Marcus spake the following:
<snip>
At work, you
do the reboot at  3 A.M.  or you have users who are furious, or you
send them a message the network is going down temporarily?

I usually have to do updates like that on the weekends, as I can't depend on
a 3AM reboot to be up in the morning when Exec's are in. A reboot I trust,
but not the first one after a kernel change. On a weekend I can drive in and
see what happened if necessary and switch to a backup router.
In our main office I have 2 running side by side and I can log in to the T1
router and change switch ports to swap them. Then a reboot on the router to
hasten the MAC changeover. Usually 5 minutes tops.

Thank you for the explanation! I wondered, if you would trust it, to
come back up, if you scheduled a reboot for 3 A.M.

I just had a perfect example this morning. One of the routers didn't come back up after the upgrades and remote reboot yesterday. I had to have someone at the site powercycle the equipment. Still much easier than having to drive over there myself.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and