Re: how do I stop X / gnome via SSH?

Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
On Wednesday 23 July 2008, Paul Bijnens wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
Hi all

I need to disable / stop X from running on a remote server, to which I
only have SSH access, and I have never done this before. So, can
someone please tell me how todo it?
telinit 3

This will cause the server to switch from runlevel 5 (which includes X) to runlevel 3 (which does not). _But_ a small warning here: runlevel 3 may very well differ in more ways that just lacking X. Depending on how your server is configured you may shutdown some services you wanted to keep (you may also start new ones you didn't expect).

To further investigate what you server does indeed run in runlevel 3 and 5 study relevant columns from the command: "chkconfig --list".

/Peter

Thanx, I did notice it, but since this is a Xen server, with everything running on the domU VM, I need very little running on the main server as it is. So I have disabled a lot of unnecessary services as well.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other technical stuff