Re: configuration request

Well to start, I'm not that new to CentOS, but I've never used yum except to keep things up to date, but after reading a lot of articles, I started adding software I'd never used before, and unfortunately, the most up to date versions came from repositories which I thought were all the same. I never realized there were multiple sources where bits could be obtained, yet of different versions. That's my fault. Prior to migrating to Linux, I'd been a BSD person, and with BSD, you had one source of software, and you didn't have to worry about different versions from different sources, as everything was located within a central source.

My current version is 4.6, and it most likely where I'll stay for some time, as the software I use has most likely not been tested or rebuilt for later versions, but I'm behind on the weather software itself. The server at my co-lo site has only 512m memory, and the server here at my house has 2G, so I don't think I need the huge-mem kernel for the downtown location, nor here for that matter. Essentially, I only use the stock kernel, whatever version happens to be current, and even with that said, I don't reboot every time a kernel comes out because of a problem with remote reboots which fails most of the time, and it's difficult to get into the co-lo site, and the ISP does not keep personnel at the building all the time. Only when someone needs to get in, or has a problem will they send someone downtown.

Based on my past 3 years of running CentOS, I'll admit I'm not nearly as up to speed with various aspects of it and a lot of the tools available. Only in the past few days did I realize within the various repo files, were they subdivided into the various areas by name. To make a long story short, I'd just like to be able to keep up essentially the base software on the server(s) and not have to worry about getting files mixed up like I was told by numbers of folks. Just did not sink in from previous messages stating the same thing. At any rate, I did manage to get some stuff fixed yesterday, but yum is still pulling in some of the kernel stuff that I don't need or want, and that's the basis for my request for help.

Thanks for your reply,

Sam