Re: centralized patch management

Terry wrote:
On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 8:28 AM, Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Terry wrote:
Hello,

I have been asked to come up with a strategy for centralized patch
management of our linux servers.  Today, this is only centos and rhel.
  What is everyone else doing in this arena?
Set up a local repo and point all your systems to it.

Our issue isn't bandwidth.  Our issue is controlling which patches are
to be deployed and at what time.
Unless your systems are scattered all over the Internet, you probably should still run a centralized repo server for the Centos systems. You can also put all your 'special' rpms there. Then whatever you use to schedule what patches when, would get them without relying on how the mirrors are working. Plus what you pull down would be input into what you need to distrubute (rather than plowing through the update announce messages).