Re: Kernel Upgrade and RAID Card

on 7-13-2008 3:42 PM Ryan Nichols spake the following:
Paul wrote:
Johnny Hughes wrote:
If it works ok on the old kernel, it should also work OK on the new one.

Not if it's a binary-driver...

I'm familiar with the card & driver ... it's a binary blob with a bit of
source to glue it to the kernel.   The card is also fakeraid rather than
real raid ... more trouble than it's worth.

So its junk? What would you recommend we move to then? Won't that be messy on the card change to another raid5 set?

IMHO software raid (even raid5) is better than a fakeraid card. Since fakeraid is software raid with a proprietary driver, you are much better off with a time-tested set of drivers than a manufacturers possible half-baked attempt to port a windows driver to linux.