Best Java code for Centos 5.2s Firefox 3

OK. I just upgraded a test system from 5.1 to 5.2 and there went all of my efforts to get Java working. All those alternative commands that I lost track of what really worked....

So I need the JDK. I have that installed on my main system with some alternatives commands that I do not remember. I do remember (and can find) a thread here to help me on it, and I tried a number of different recommendations until things started working. Was it the last command or a combination of them?

Anyway, so here comes the upgrade to firefox 3. On my test system, Java was working with 1.5, and now it is not. So I anticipate the same event here. I need these Java apps working, so before I upgrade, I would like to know what others have found out and recommend.