Re: Centos 5.2 and 2.6.18-92 Kernel backported SATA fixes?

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Michael Rock wrote:

Last year to get motherboards with the G33 chipset with SATA working with Centos I had to either use David Harbic fixes or use Fedora 8 since it had the later 2.6.25 kernel.

I no longer see David's fixes available and also see in the 5.2 release notes "update SATA driver and infrastructure". Did Redhat finally incorporate fixes to full support the new G33 chipset and SATA?

I have more of these G33 chipset motherboards with Q6600 cpu. Trying to decide which is the least hassle setup and long term i386 or x86_64, on either Centos 5.2 or Fedora 9?

First of all, if this is important to you, please remember to buy hardware based on your OS requirements (and not buy what looks interesting to find out you end up having issues driving it). Especially if you buy more than one piece...

Secondly, Fedora 9 is neither a least hassle setup, not a long term solution. Since you may have to upgrade every 6 to 12 months, which is something you may think does not matter that much, until you are forced to upgrade on a timetable that is not yours.

Thirdly, the best way to find out if your hardware is supported is to do an actual installation on that hardware. Since you have more than one piece, why not boot it and see if it is fixed ? And then report back :-)

Kind regards,
--
--   dag wieers,  dag@xxxxxxxxxx,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --