Re: Message size rejected

on 7-3-2008 11:43 PM Anne Wilson spake the following:
On Thursday 03 July 2008 22:29:55 Jim Perrin wrote:
On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Anne Wilson <cannewilson-gM/Ye1E23mwN+BqQ9rBEUg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
My daughter needs to send me a large file.  It appears that it is getting
through my ISP, but being rejected on my CentOS mail server.  The message
she's getting says
Much as I dislike getting or giving "you asked for x, but here's how
to do it with y" I'm going to do so here.

Email is one of those things which is great for small files, and such,
but large transfers can cause issues at pretty much every aspect of
the trip. If you've already got a webserver running, add a password
protected area for uploads. You can even set it up to allow webdav
style transfers over https. This avoids any mail handling delays, lets
both parties know it got there successfully, and keeps the clutter out
of the mailserver.

I wouldn't dream of sending big files like that by email, but this is a windows user who 'wants to get things done, not play with computers'. Her experience is that she can send a big pdf to her printers, so she wouldn't think that he sets his mailbox to accept unusually large files. As far as she's concerned, I'm at fault. She even read the 'Message size exceeds fixed limit' as meaning that my inbox was full. It's no good trying to tell her about better ways. She wouldn't see that as part of her work.

</rant>  Thanks to list members I'll get the file thiis morning.

Anne
That is one of the biggest of my beefs about windows. It allows any computer noob to shoot themselves in the foot very easily. That can be a plus or a negative. The biggest negative is that there are now millions of computers on the internet that have run out on their free 2 months of virus scanner updates, and are now owned by someones bot network, while the clueless user keeps plugging along wondering why the darn machine is so slow. I guess the positive is that it is easy for Grandma and Grandpa on the other side of the country to get pics of the grandkids.

I just wish that PC manufacturers would just contract with one of the free virus scanner companies like Grisoft, instead of putting in Norton with a 60 day cripple point. Most users will just ignore the update message until it stops because they don't know it is really necessary software. A free virus scanner with updates will beat a heave commercial soft with no updates anytime.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and