Re: Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

William L. Maltby wrote:
Thank you both Bill and Alex.

NP.

We're happy to try to help. I have a friend with your model of laptop, I'll see if I can sucker him into letting me futz around with it for a day or two. I'll report back!

I'm thinking now, we have garnered enough new information that an
assault on google might yield results. I suggest you give it a try.

I decided to investigate proc. I don't know if that might be
fruitful, ... BRB

Well, all directories or empty files all the way down the tree. No joy
in mudville.

Not entirely sure what one would glean from /proc other than that the card is present and drivers are loaded for it. There's lengthy output for my sound device. I won't paste all of it, but everything is located in /proc/asound. My device is also listed under /proc/devices as one would expect.

I don't muck in /proc very often other than for testing network setups and obtaining cpu and memory information, so the output for my soundcard means next to nothing to me other than I know the correct driver is loaded.

[prata@crane asound]$ ls
card0  cards  devices  modules  oss  pcm  seq  timers  V8237  version

[prata@crane asound]$ pwd && cat modules && cat cards
/proc/asound
 0 snd_via82xx
 0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
                      VIA 8237 with ALC850 at 0xe800, irq 209

Given that your machine is reporting the device as present (despite not getting any sound) I am under the impression anything you get out of proc would be correct as well. Just to through more confusion on the issue. ^_^

Last idea, if no one else from here chimes in. Do a google (again) and
try the alsa or other Linux lists.

I don't know why I never googled around on the Alsa lists. That was stupid of me. Opensuse has some forums with this problem as well. I didn't see a fix, but I didn't spend too much time looking there. If there is a fix, maybe they have an srpm that could be massaged into working in CentOS?

If you do find a solution elsewhere I'd really appreciate a link or something just for my own knowledge down the road.

Sincerely,

Alex White

--
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx