Re: Acer 5920 audio chip does not work in CentOS 5.2?

hce wrote:

I'm certainly not expert on this, but I can think of a few things to
examine that might give a clue.

That makes you and me both.

First, under 5.1, do an lsmod and note the driver(s) loaded for the
audio. Might want to examine the modprobe.conf file too.

Please see following results from modproble.conf and lsmod. I can see
that the soundcore was loaded, I guess the audio module was loaded,
right?

$ cat /etc/modprobe.conf
alias eth0 tg3
alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
alias scsi_hostadapter1 ahci
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-hda-intel index=0
remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
; }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel

<snipped some of the output>

snd_hda_intel          24793  1
snd_hda_codec         210881  1 snd_hda_intel
snd_seq_dummy           7877  0
snd_seq_oss            32577  0
snd_seq_midi_event     11073  1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                49585  5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device         11725  3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            42945  0
snd_mixer_oss          19009  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                72005  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_timer              24517  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    52421  11
snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore              11553  1 snd
sg                     36189  0
ide_cd                 40033  0
snd_page_alloc         14281  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

The 5.2 was installed from scratch, it was not updated from an old version.

<snipped>

I've checked dmesg and messages, but could not find any word to Audio,
or audio, or sound. But again, I checked dmesg and messages from my
desktop which installed FC7 and I could not find anything to audio and
sound as well.

The only suspecious I could find was following boot message, but I am
not sure it was related or not, and not sure how could fix following.

PCI: If a device doesn't work, try "pci=routeirq".  If it helps, post a report
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.0
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.3
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 7 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 8 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5
PCI: Cannot allocate resource region 9 of bridge 0000:00:1c.5

I can't speak to this, I'm not familiar with the above output. I'll look into it this evening.

Under 5.2, do an lsmod and see if the drivers were loaded. Also, after
the updatedb, use locate and see if the module is found.

What is the name of the audio module and driver from lsmod? I can only
found soundcore as above.

The module's name is snd-hda-intel. It's listed in your output from lsmod. I see it up there, I removed most of the irrelevant (to me at least) modules that were in there so you could more easily see it.

Thank you so much.

Kind Regards,

Jim

What's interesting about your problem is that it was mentioned in several Ubuntu forums while I was googling. The solutions I've seen mentioned both in Suse and Ubuntu forums is to use the latest version of Alsa. That may require some 'by hand' installation, and I am not sure you want to do that.

Here are a couple of links that mention the card "just working" and issues similar to yours.

http://bluegargoyle.com/Lenovo-ThinkPad-R61i-CentOS5-MAJ20080428.html
Mind the wrapping, but this link shows the controller just working.

Someone having the no sound problem on a different laptop make and model, but same sound controller as yours.

I looked around for some devices with that chipset, but I don't have any, so I can't experiment. I'll keep scouring the net.

--
ethericalzen@xxxxxxxxx
Life is a prison, death is a release