Re: PPPoE setup

Ramon Nieto wrote:

--- El *mié 2-jul-08, Robert Moskowitz /<rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>/* escribió:

    De:: Robert Moskowitz <rgm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Asunto:  PPPoE setup
    A: "CentOS mailing list" <centos@xxxxxxxxxx>
    Fecha: miércoles, 2 julio, 2008, 4:09 pm

My provider is getting ready to switch my DSL router to bridging mode and I supply the router (so I can get no only IPv4 addresses but also IPv6 addresses!).

    Here are his 'instructions' to me:

    "Basically you start pppoe, I give you the username and password for it,
    and then I set the router to passthrough
     modem mode, and you initiate
    the PPPoE session directly with my LNS back here. You'll get a dynamic
    IP on the dsl side
     (which is normal) and then you just set up your
    static routes in the linux box as normal. My LNS automatically routes
    your traffic to the IP it randomly assigns to the DSL link. Once we
    verify that IP6CP is up, I can assign you a /48 and you can rock out
    with that however you want."

    Currently I have a /26 IPv4 assignment which will continue.

So do I change the alias in modprobe.conf from eth0 to ppp0? Or is just listing interface eth0 in hte pppoe.conf file enough?

From my ISP's comments, the pppoe negotiation will provide the address for eth0. I already know my /26 allocation. I need to set up static routes on eth1 for these IPv4 addresses (different subnets to different internal firewalls). What tool do I use to set these?

    And then I get to work with
     IPv6!

    Pointers to Howtos are greatly appreciated.

Robert,

No, do not modify the alias for eth0, leave modprobe.conf unchanged.

OK. That is what I thought. I suspect the advice I found was for a different distro.

How did you configured the pppoe link?

I haven't yet. Trying to get the steps down before I do. Once I start, I am off the net until it works.

I have been using the adsl-setup command from the rp-pppoe package to configure the dsl link, it generates the ifcfg-ppp0 file on /etc/sysconfig/network/scripts with the values needed to bring the link up such as the username, network interface to use, etc.

Also the adsl-setup command stores the username and password on the chap-secrets and pap-secrets files under /etc/ppp

After the dsl is configured you can bring it up /down with the adsl-start adsl-stop commands.
OK. I see the adsl-setup command in both /sbin and /usr/sbin. So I can run them and see what they produce.

What do you do to get adsl-start to run at boot (and at the proper point in booting).