SOLVED Re: extract MIME attachments from 700MB imap folder

<snip>
Hi Les,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm wholly ignorant of how to go about doing this using your suggestion. Are there resources to which you might point me for additional info?

That was the whole perl program needed to split the body of a message and any MIME attachments into separate files, given one email message on standard input. If that doesn't make sense, you'll probably have to start with the 'learning perl' book or any general perl programming tutorials. There are some details about the Mime::Tools package and how to use the components here: http://search.cpan.org/~doneill/MIME-tools/

Thanks, Les.  I'm digging into the docs now.

Solution was easier than I'd expected. I implemented Les' perl mime extractor script with slight mods so that on a go-forward, this will happen without intervention.

For the 700MB imap folder of historical docs, I used a thunderbird add-on called 'extract attachments' which does just what it says. Got over 1300 docs in less than 10 mins simply by subscribing to the folder and running the add-on.

Thanks for the script and docs pointer, Les.

-Ray