Re: settings up cheap a NAS / SAN server, is it possible?

nate wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:
nate wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:

This raises an interesting question. What do you do in this kind of
scenario? How do you upgrade a NAS / SAN with say 5 / 10 TB worth of
data?

Nate, what EXACTLY does that have todo with the topic? We're talking
about a self-build NAS / SAN running on Linux (and UNIX), NOT a
commercial product

Everything I believe. Everything is a commercial product unless your
building the circuit boards from scratch. Your specific question was
how do you upgrade a NAS / SAN with say 5 / 10TB worth of data? My
answer is you build one that can be upgraded online.

And the array I mentioned previously runs on Debian. The largest
EMC arrays run on Linux as well.

While EMC won't let you self-build their high end systems, there are
other companies that sell SAN/NAS gear that runs on Linux that will
let you "self build".

nate

No, it's not quite the same thing. A commercial storage device is built in a such a way that the OS (normally on a separate HDD / PROM / flash disk / etc) can be upgraded with the suppliers pre-built patches.

We're talking about doing this totally from scratch. i.e, how to build one from PC components you have / purchased from a supplier yourself. This also involves setting up the software (in this case CentOS, but FreeBSD & Solaris was recommended as well). If I wanted a commercial product, then I would have contacted the vendors and asked them this question. And if you've been following the thread, you'll see that we discussed Intel & AMD, SATA, SAS & SCSI, software & hardware RAID, etc, not which commercial device works better and which don't.

It's nice to know what commercial vendors offer a way to upgrade the OS, but I'm not interested in a commercial pre-built product, I don't have that kind of capital

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com