INIT 5 and system is gone

I had been running a system on Centos 5.1 at INIT 3. I did the upgrade to Centos 5.2 with the aid of the powernowk8 patch.

Previously I would VNC into the unit when I needed to do admin stuff with a GUI. Well I noticed that I was NOT getting GNOME via VNC since the upgrade (worked before just fine with 5.1). So I tried an INIT 5 from the command line (always worked before), but the system seemed to hang. Video was off.

I rebooted, went to INITTAB and changed init to 5 and rebooted. Probably a tragic mistake.

Now on boot, right after UDEV gets an OK, the screen goes blank and the drive stops turning.

I tried booting with the 5.1 kernel, and same behaviour with the system blanking out and all load activity stopping after UDEV loads.

So I am quite stuck at this point.

Is there an option that I can edit into the kernel command at boot time to init in 3? And then what do I try?

If I have to reload Centos, I have to pull the drive, put it into another system, install there, etc. Not my idea of a fun day....