Re: spam filtering with centos 5.2

John R Pierce wrote:
In the past I've used a combination of spamhaus combined RBL's and Spamassassin with Mailscanner as my spam recipe, but this stopped working very well for me well over a year ago. As many of the users of the couple small/personal mail servers I run are NOT technical people, and use POP to read their mail, 'training' spamassassin is difficult at best. Once upon a time, using the Rules Du Jour scripts from the SARES project worked pretty well, but that has been shut down, and really hasn't been functional in over a year.

I've just rebuilt a friends mail server with centos 5.2 (it was running FC3 or something before) and would like to setup them up with a decent anti-spam recipe that doesn't require extensive tinkering or training. does anyone have a good recipe for this? Ideally I'd like something purely RPM based that doesn't require extensive configuration and tuning. I've never setup razor before, how well does that work if the mail users aren't in a position to feed it training data?

John,

I wrote the Wiki pages on Postfix with restrictions and greylisting here:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix_restrictions
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postgrey

I've found this setup to be highly effective in filtering spam (~99.6%) without the need for any post-filtering such as SpamAssassin.

Helo restrictions alone take out about a third of spam on my mail server and then I use the following RBL's:

zen.spamhaus.org
dnsbl-1.uceprotect.net,
dnsbl-2.uceprotect.net,
dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net,
psbl.surriel.com,
bl.spamcop.net,

followed up by greylisting to catch the remainder.

I've only seen a few false positives and they have mostly come from using the dnsbl-3.uceprotect.net RBL. If you don't want to be too aggressive, maybe drop this one from the list and see how you get on.

The only other recommendation I would make is to avoid catchall accounts where ever you can and only accept mail for actual users.

If you then still find you want to run SpamAssassin and/or ClamAV to filter the very small amount of spam that makes it through, check out this Wiki page:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd

although I really haven't found the need to use any post-filtering with the above setup.

Obviously the above is based on Postfix but equally applies to other MTA's.

Regards,

Ned