Re: Broken upgrade to 5.2

Tim Verhoeven wrote:
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 6:03 AM, Ian Blackwell <ian@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I was upgrading a CentOS 5.1 box to 5.2 remotely, and I lost my ssh
connection to the server.  Now when I rerun the "yum upgrade" it fails due
to conflicts in the transaction check stage.  Before I dig myself a deeper
hole, I think I need advice.  The original error I received was a conflict
between python-devel and python, so I erased python-devel with the plan to
install it again after, but now I'm getting more errors and I think I might
be up to my neck and I've got that cold feeling on the back of my neck :-(

I have the CentOS-Base repo enabled (base, updates, addons, extras &
centosplus) and CentOS-Media --- but no others.

...snip...

Could you post the output of the command "/bin/rpm -qa --qf
'%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm\n'" ?

I would add a | sort to that like this:

"/bin/rpm -qa --qf '%{name}-%{version}-%{release}.%{arch}.rpm\n' | sort"

What this normally means is that you killed your yum in the middle of an update, where it installed packages, but did not get to the clean up stage ... this will lead to duplicated packages installed (in the rpm database).

The above command will show if that is a problem, and we can use a script to change the database to have the older values by deleting the newer ones from the database and do the upgrade again.

When doing large updates, you should use "GNU screen", which will not kill processes if you loose your connection and you can just reconnect to the in process session.

you can get "GNU screen" (if it is not already installed) with the command:

yum install screen

here are some article on how to use screen:

http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_screen

http://www.rackaid.com/resources/linux-tutorials/general-tutorials/linux-screen.cfm