Re: Migrating from RHEL to Centos

John R Pierce wrote:
Hemraj S wrote:
Hi,

I m currently running my production servers on RHEL 4.6 & would like to migrate to Centos4.6 as it has more benefits & advantages. I looked at the Centos release notes available at http://mirror.centos.org/centos/4.6/os/i386/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html and understood that the basic difference between RHEL & Centos are look/feel related & binaries,functionalities are almost same. But when i compared the sysctl values of RHEL4.6 with Centos4.6, i found that there are lot of differences in the parameter values. Now my question is:

1) Just like sysctl difference, is there any other difference between RHEL & Centos which could vary the performance & needs to be taken care during migration. 2) When the Centos packages are built, are they built with the same configuration as in RHEL or is there any difference.

the defaults for sysctl should be identical if both systems are running the same kernel revision on similar hardware. do a `uname -a` on both. did your rhel4.6 system have anything in /etc/sysctl.conf ? CentOS is built directly from the SRPM's for the AS configuration of RHEL, using the exact same options. the precise versions of the compilers and tools used may vary in some cases as upstream doesn't fully document their build process (RHEL version X is apparently not built on a stock RHEL version X development platform, using the supplied tools).

As posted above, the default values should be the same IF the same package sets are installed.