Re: 3ware 9650 issues

On Sat, 21 Jun 2008 at 9:12pm, John R Pierce wrote

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
I've been having no end of issues with a 3ware 9650SE-24M8 in a server that's coming on a year old. I've got 24 WDC WD5001ABYS drives (500GB) hooked to it, running as a single RAID6 w/ a hot spare. These issues boil down to the card periodically throwing errors like the following:
Have other folks had good luck with this card? What sorts of configs are you running? I'm in the position of needing more storage, and I'm a bit gun shy on 3ware at the moment...

I have no experience with that raid card, most of our larger systems use external SAN storage, but I will say that, IMHO, is a very large raid-6. we usually don't make single raid sets much large than 7-8 drives, and for a very large storage system, will stripe multiple raid5/6 sets rather than have one huge one.

Would that I had such luxuries. This is a university lab with needs for massive amounts of data and not much money with which to do it.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin