Re: how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

So, how do I actually access these servers remotely? If possible, I'd like todo it via another CentOS server at the DC using SSH.

Dell's usually come with their openmange suite, so you might google for that. I think a java-enabled browser should connect and get an applet that looks more or less like vnc for console access. But you only need it when installing remotely or if something is wrong so you can't ssh to the main interface.

Dell usually has all their documentation and updates online. If this doesn't help you can probably find the full manual.
 ftp://ftp.us.dell.com/sysman/readme_160_A00.txt

Thanx, that link was very helpful. I see they mention the word KVM, but I doubt it will give me a full "Keyboard / Video / Mouse" as a KVMoverIP device would, or am I wrong? I would basically like to access the server remotely, as with a KVMoverIP device if there's any problems with the OS, like a kernel update that ran into problems, or something like that. Is it possible with these, out of your experience, or not?

I haven't used that exact one, but the ones I have seen would download java applet to a browser that worked like vnc and does what you want. If you run their openmanage agent you can do it without the management NIC, but then the OS has to be running and there's not much advantage over VNC. The management NIC will work across a reboot of the machine.

Dell's site is just too big for me to get any proper answers on this matter

I've found their web support to be excellent if you can get past the place where they sort out the individual/small/large business users. Try to find support/downloads and the place where you put in the model number or their tag number which identifies it completely. Then you go directly to everything they have for that device, which might be flash updates, all the manuals, and any utilities they provide. I think they maintain this for everything they have ever sold.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx