Re: how do I manage a Dell PE 860 server via IPMI?

nate wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote:

I'm not 100% sure if there's a DRAC 4 device in. It has 2x NIC's, and I
can set the IP on the top NIC as the management IP. I haven't been able
to connect to it via a web browser though, nor can I ping it.

Install the OpenIPMI tools, start ipmi, and try to connect using
ipmitool shell

You may need to install some dell specific drivers as well.

Once in the ipmi shell try commands like
sensor
lan print 0 (print's IPMI controller config)

This works for me on the DRAC 5, haven't tried DRAC4, but it works
on other non dell IPMI systems as well for me.

nate

Cool, this worked from my Windows Laptop to the Dell server, but I see it's only a very basic info type setup. Do you run any specific software on your Linux server to give you more control?

I was actually hoping that I could use this as a KVM over IP type thing to manage the server if there's any OS / software problems, but it doesn't seem like it could do that.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Web:   http://www.SoftDux.com