Re: OT - host/asset tracking

Max Hetrick wrote:

Someone else mentioned ocsinventory-ng
(http://www.ocsinventory-ng.org/), but to complete the picture,
ocsinventory-ng includes agents for windows and linux that will
automatically send each machine's hardware and software inventory to the
server periodically and can be used to deploy packages so it is easier
and more accurate than doing it by hand and will stay up to date.  GLPI
is a more completed and detailed inventory system that can handle more
than PCs, but it knows how to pull the data from ocsinventory when you
use both.

Thanks, Les. I totally forgot that you could integrate ocsinventory into
GLPI. I've not used that portion, but I may pursue that in the near
future since you just reminded me! :)

I'm just starting to roll out the agent to a large number of machines. It reports a level of detail that would be difficult or impossible to maintain by hand, including things like the number of memory slots and their contents and the mac/ip addresses of all NICs, active or not.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx