Re: Centos 5.2 and Xen

Luke S Crawford wrote:

I wonder if it can be combined with other technologies - KVM, openVZ, etc to give more then 4GB of ram for virtualization? I tried installing vmware, but it wouldn't run under.a xen kernel.

running vmware under a xenU guest wouldn't lift any ram limit imposed by the xen kernel or dom0.

the 4Gb limit is added to the free (closed source) citrix xen product
so that people have a reason to pay for the full version...  really,
if you need more than 4G, pay for full xensource, or use the open-source
Xen/open source pv drivers.

The 4GB limit is artificial, and only applies to the vm's started using their closed source XenSource. The host OS is most likely CentOS 5, and sees the whole 8GB (although it's not x64, so I'm guessing they use PAE or something.)

I only need 8GB of ram support, and no other features that are offered in XenStandard, so it seems kind of a waste to pay $1k per server for that. If another virtualization technology was installed on that OS, you can get the use of the other 4GB, and if not, I can always run my apps on Dom0, although I'd prefer to not install too much stuff on Dom0.

Russ