Kernel Panic

I am very very new to the linux world.. I am having problems with CentOS5.1 with kernel panics. I belive the cause of the kernel panics are a software that I am running on the machine, but I cannot find any information as to what the system was doing prior to the crash, i have looked in the /var/log/messaging to no solution. I guess what I am asking is what do i need to turn on for when this kernel crash comes again? It happens with in hours or days of running this software, it is random and sudden.
Thanks,
Ryan Nichols