Re: School Server Setup

Harry Sukumar wrote:

I was wondering if you can help me little bit.... I am trying to help (voluntary service) a country side school
(Aboriginal community) in Northern Queensland Australia setup lab
infrastructure, it's a very remote school and they don't have enough
funds to go commercial
The school has only till grade 6 They have 25 machines that was bought out of the government grant but none of the machines come with windows I was asked by the school president to setup lab infrastructure currently they have Internet (Dynamic) with only two machines connected I have asked them to change the plan to Static IP address which I presume will be done some time this week I have decided to go Linux on all the machines including the server Could some one please cast some light on how I can carry on with this
project, I am not sure where to start and I am fairly new to Linux and
system administration world
Currently what's in my mind is to setup fedora on all desktop and CentOS5 as my server with following services configured

If you have one machine that could reasonably act as a server, you could load k12ltsp (a CentOS based distribution that adds the ability to network-boot thin clients and some educational programs) on it and be done. In any case you might find the information here useful:
http://k12ltsp.org/mediawiki/index.php/Main_Page along with their mail list.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx