Re: Re: usb thumbdrive

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Jerry Geis wrote:

> I am soo close. I have have made my custom kernel from a DIFFERENT > machine, I have hte USB booting, I have 3 partitions, 1-fat12, 2 - > ext3, 3 is swap. on booting it says:
>
> VFS cannot open root device NULL please append root=
>
> I tried root=/dev/sda2 and still nothing.

Does your custom kernel (or its initrd) include the USB storage drivers necessary for reading your thumb drive?

Paul,

I started with the config from the old kernel but specifically which ones do I need to check and verify?

I don't have any Linux machines handy for getting an exact list, but the usb-storage module is certainly key. It depends, in turn, on the scsi_mod module.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> http://www.madboa.com/