Re: yum upgrade 4.3 -> current ?

On Jun 4, 2008, at 4:43 PM, William L. Maltby wrote:

Processing a huge number of dependancies (very likely going from
4.3->4.6) will use huge amounts. I would first upgrade yum itself (IIRC,
the sqlite changed).

Tried that with a "yum -y update yum" but we're still getting clobbered.

Then, pay attention to the dependancy processing output and pick a few
packages at a time to upgrade. After a few passes like this, you should
be able to revert to the normal update processing.

Good suggestion--I'll remember that if I ever get to the point where it's starting to work :-)

Another strategy that might or might not work is to go to runlevel 3
(telinit 3) that eliminates all the graphical stuff and run from a
normal VT. If you don't have swap enabled, make a swap partition or file
of decent size and try that.

We're already there--no X is installed or running. Swap partition is set to 2GB--I suppose that I could add another swap file and see if that gets me over the hump.

Yum is choking at the point where it print the first "processing primary.xml.gz"

--Chris