Re: tzdata, Greenwich zone: URGENT!

Johnny Hughes wrote:

I use UTC

make sure that the file /etc/sysconfig/clock says this:
#---start cut
ZONE="UTC"
UTC=true
ARC=false
#---end cut

Copy the file /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC to /etc/localtime

set the time via an ntp server with the command (if ntp is installed):

ntpdate -s 0.centos.pool.ntp.org

Then you should always be at the correct time.

NOTE: If you do not have the correct time zone in the /etc/sysconfig/clock file then on the next update, you will get the reset to the timezone that is there and not the one you manually copied in.

The UTC time zone is also available on install as a selection.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Thanks Johnny!  Great info.

I edited the /etc/sysconfig/clock file and did what you said. I did also: cp -p /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime. I'll probably schedule a reboot, just to be sure all is clean. NTPd is already running.

Checking /usr/share/zoneinfo/, i saw GMT, GMT0, GMT-0, GMT+0, UTC & Greenwich. Does anybody knows the differences between all these or could provide a link to a reference? I found some infos but nothing that explains the subtlety.

I made a diff and they are binary different. I just want to understand better what happened to us and the "time" thing!

Regards,

Guy Boisvert, ing.
IngTegration inc.