Re: XFS install issue

Linux wrote:
On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 1:16 PM, Johnny Hughes <johnny@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I also normally build all the extras kmods while I build the centosplus
kernel, so they were also not yet done ... however I did go ahead and build

I dont intend to blame anybody but kmod_xfs was a couple of days late
for previous kernel update and I broke an xfs partition, as recorded
in list archives.

Good, because we can not support the extras and centosplus repositories in the same time frames as the main repositories.

In that thread, I was told to expect such things and test better
because xfs was not in official brunch neither in rhel nor in centos.

IF you have required kernel modules, then you should probably set the kernels and the kmods as excluded and NOT update those automatically (using your yum.conf file).

You can then double check when the updates are available.

I ALWAYS manually upgrade my kernels on machines that require kmods. As I have said many times, add on repos are supported, but they are not supported within the same time frames.

I would also not use XFS in production ... but that is just me. If XFS was production ready, it would be in RHEL. Since it is turned on in Fedora and since it is purposely turned off in RHEL, one can reasonably conclude that the upstream people DO NOT THINK it is stable enough to use in production on RHEL. This is JUST my opinion :D