Re: samba & samba-common installed then erased, but by whom?

Johnny Tan wrote:
I saw this in Logwatch today for one of my servers:

 --------------------- yum Begin ------------------------

 Packages Installed:
    samba-common.i386 3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2
    samba.i386 3.0.23c-2.el5.2.0.2

 Packages Erased:
    samba-common
    samba

 ---------------------- yum End -------------------------

No one, including myself, has even logged into this box in the past few days (verified by asking the only other two people who have access and also looking at the last & secure logs).

And neither /var/log/yum.log or /var/log/rpmpkgs shows samba at all being installed/erased/present.

I ran both chkrootkit and rkhunter, and both turned up clean.

Since this box is behind a firewall with only a few IPs given access to it, I'm thinking that it's not been rooted, but I can't seem to find any other explanation for this.

The only thing that runs on this server is httpd and jetty. Everything else is done manually including yum updates. And nothing that runs on this machine would ever need samba.

Has anyone ever encountered something like this?

johnn

If I may refer you to this thread, I believe your observations are similar to mine earlier this month:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-May/098839.html

and the cause is likely similar. Checking /var/log/yum.log for entries 1 year ago should confirm this.

Regards,

Ned