Re: Intel ICH9R Raid5 Recovery

Mark Pryor wrote:
--- Ruslan Sivak <russ@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Sorry for posting this twice, didn't look like it
made it before...

Russ

Ruslan Sivak wrote:
I had a raid5 on an onboard Intel ICH9R chip under
windows. Windows
crashed, as it often does, and the array became
degraded. At some
point during the rebuild, I was doing some
hardware maintanence and
unplugged one of the drives, and forgot to plug it
back in.
When I booted up, the array came back as failed.
I turned off the PC,
plugged the drive back in and powered it back on,
but the array stayed
as failed.
Is there a way to recover the data?  I heard
dmraid supports ich9r
raid volumes, but I keep getting an error saying
unsupported map state
2.  I found out that dmraid doesnt' support raid 5
(at least not on a
ICH9R chip). I heard about this patch: http://people.redhat.com/heinzm/sw/dm/dm-raid45/,
but I'm not sure how
to apply it to a linux live cd.  Does anyone have
any idea?
Is there maybe a way to reset the metadata to make
the intel
controller boot the array anyway?

One of the best live Linux CD's out there is the FC8
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/8/Live/

uses the 2.6.23 kernel. Knoppix 5.1 is Jan07 and
kernel 2.6.19

BTW, I hear a lot of negative things about dmraid and
fakeraid. I have an FC5 desktop box dual booting WinXP
and FC5 on fakeraid/Raid0 thats been perfect for over
3 years. That includes a kernel upgrade in FC5, which
required me to run mkinitrd (since it froze during
boot) to get it working.

Do you think that live cd will have raid5 support for dmraid, or will I have to use that patch?

Russ