Re: I need storage server advice

On Tue, 6 May 2008 at 12:11pm, Ed Morrison wrote

Situation:
My current storage needs are approximately 1.5 TB annually. This will increase to about 3.5 TB annually over the next 5 years (rough est.). This box will just be a data archive and once it is full it will only be used very infrequently if not used at all. Files are small up to 10 MB but numerous.

CentOS:
Upgrading to the newer CentOS flavors. I will not have the ability to archive this data to tape and I am concerned about loosing the data when upgrading the OS. How best to handle this?

You have to be careful, but it's quite easy to leave partitions (and thus their data) alone when you are updating/reinstalling the OS.

Storage limitation. It is my understanding that there is a 2 TB storage limitation with Linux (and windows) in general particularly for stability. I see that ReiserFS can go up to 16 TB. Is any one using this? If so, how has it been for you?

You cannot boot from a device larger than 2TiB, but that's the only limitation at that size. I run several multi-TB servers (including over 8TB) on CentOS-5 with no issues (using ext3).

You do not want to use ReiserFS. It's not supported under CentOS, and it's future is far less than certain (and I do not want to restart *that* OT conversation). ext3 is the default FS under CentOS and works pretty well.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
QB3 Shared Cluster Sysadmin