Re: httpd reverse proxy

Craig White wrote:
On Tue, 2008-05-06 at 01:31 +0200, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
Craig White wrote on Mon, 05 May 2008 14:57:05 -0700:

<VirtualHost www.tobyhouse.com:*>
this is very old-fashioned and unreliable syntax, use this instead:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/vhosts/name-based.html
----
that's what I ended up doing...you took the first message in the thread
----
  RedirectPermanent / http://cms.tobyhouse.com
It sent ALL traffic over to the other server which is clearly not what I
want.
I don't understand. Isn't that exactly what you want, redirect all traffic for www.tobyhouse.com to cms.tobyhouse.com?

How can handle this? Must I give a unique ip address to
www.tobyhouse.com?
Ah, you have several virtual hosts on it and all of them get redirected to cms.tobyhouse.com? That's the result of the wrong virtual host syntax you use. Use name-based virtual hosts and it will work.

Why don't you solve this at dns level? Wouldn't that be much "cleaner"?
----
sure - but I needed a way to do this temporarily to demonstrate to
bosses who don't always understand these technical issues and to figure
out if and how I handle things at the DNS level.

Its actually very useful to access backend hosts on private networks or to transparently spread the load across several machines.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx