Re: Watching Netflix movies on CentOS

Bill Campbell wrote:

 Apparently the problem with the Mac is the DRM again.  The studios are
apparently all worried that people will keep copies of the old TV shows and
movies downloaded.

 I have an old Mac Mini that I would like to use to watch some Netflix shows
on (better than sitting in front of a computer, or watching it on a small
laptop), but until it is supported I can't.  The Mini is hooked up to my TV
directly.
Quicktime absolutely supports DRM, so what's the problem?  It's a
cheap company that's looking to get the most bang for the littlest
buck.  It wouldn't have taken much to have their system ask for the
users choice of player (WMP or QT), so the other remaining issue is
time to convert films to digital format and storage.  Since the
conversion is probably automated it shouldn't have taken that much
extra time.  So the only issue is disk space, which means that Netflix
was too cheap to spend the extra money to store a QT version of the
films so they could get the Mac users.  From what I remember of the
Netflix downloads they were looking for a cheap way to get ahead of
Blockbuster.  They looked good, but they did as little as possible,
which included a limited availability of movies.

Unless I'm missing something (entirely possible with video
stuff), Macs have no problem viewing Windows media play files
using the free flip4mac program.

Netflix has its own add-in to windows media player that probably provides the authentication. I don't think it will work with anything else.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx