Re: Turning off Win2008 machines from a CentOS box

Joseph L. Casale wrote:
I understand this may be able to be done with Samba?
Anyone know the syntax for a CentOS 5.1 Samba client
and what needs to be done to Windows 2008 Server to
allow this (I suspect out of the box it wouldn't allow it)?

I haven't tested this, but in theory...

   $ net rpc shutdown -U Administrator -S servername

and it will prompt for the Administrator account password. Administrator can be replaced with any windows account that has admin privs on the target server. If its in a domain, presumably you could use DOMAINNAME\\domainuser as the username, where that domainuser has admin privs on the server.

this assumes you're on the same network and not firewalled against basic RPC type operations, this would be the case in the typical business network, but NOT if the machine is hardened and running as an internet server or in a DMZ.