De: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx>
Assunto: Re: DNS problem (on NAT configuration)
Cc: npaci-rocks-discussion@xxxxxxxx
Data: Quinta-feira, 24 de Abril de 2008, 18:56

Patricia Bittencourt wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm dealing with a problem that the worker nodes that are
behind
> a NAT aren't able to reach outside from time to time. (ie: on a given
> moment I can ping an address name and immediately after I cannot:
"ping:
> unknown host").
> The NAT was configurated using the following:
> *nat
> -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j MASQUERADE
> COMMIT
>
> Please, any advice here would be appreciated.

The obvious fix is to configure your NAT gateway host as a caching DNS
server and make the hosts behind NAT use it's private address instead of
something on the other side. However, it should work anyway. Do you
have enough traffic that you could be filling your conntrack tables? UDP
entries remain for a timeout interval since you can't see a disconnect.

See if the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_conntrack_* values are
reaonable for your scale.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx