RE: Can't get .htaccess to work

> Jim, you forget that he's using .htaccess, the above cannot work there. He
> has to leave that out.
>
> Pam: if you can access the directory just fine this does *not* mean that
> you misconfigured your .htaccess file (although it looked like that as
> well), it means it is not getting used at all. An .htaccess file that is
> not allowed by server config or that contains wrong configuration throws a
> 500 Internal Server Error. You have also been told a while back I think
> that you should look in the logs. Did you do that? I don't remember having
> seen any response from you about that.
> Do the following: place a single fake command like "this is a fake
> command" in your .htaccess file and then access the directory. If you
> don't get a 500 error, the file is not getting used. Which means next step
> is to check your logs and your configuration why it's not getting used and
> also double-check that it's in the correct directory and you access the
> correct directory (as I don't know what content you have there this
> content may either be identifying it uniquely or not).
>
> You should also read the Apache documentation at httpd.apache.org, it may
> help you find that probably tiny mistake that you make, but we can't tell
> you as we don't see all of the picture. You should also read up on how you
> can achieve the password protection without an .htaccess file. This file
> is completely unnecessary if you have access to the apache conf, anyway.

OK, I put the fake command in and now I'm getting an error via web page:

Internal Server Error

Here are the last two log file entries for that httpd request:

12.34.567.89 - - [19/Apr/2008:13:46:23 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 500 616
12.34.567.89 - - [19/Apr/2008:13:47:12 -0400] "GET / HTTP/1.1" 200 20

I Changed the IP's.

I guess there were two seperate errors, the last error - even when I corrected and removed the fake
command and reloaded, I could not access the site, so the second error indicates the fake message removed
but all else being (supposedly) correct the same in the conf.d file.  Then I deleted .htaccess and .htpasswd and now I can
again access the site again.

Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows Live Messenger. Get started!