Re: Question about RAID 5 array rebuild with mdadm

Thanks for answering my e-mail!!

On Apr 17, 2008, at 1:50 PM, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

Mark Hennessy wrote:

ok, now it says that the array is recovering and will take about 10
hours to rebulid.
/dev/sd[c-i] say that they are "active	sync" and
/dev/sdj says it's a
spare that's rebuilding.
But now I scroll back in my history and see that oops, the chunk size
is WRONG. Not only that, but I don't stop the array until the rebuild
is at around 8%

Well, now I think it's all messed up.

Ok, I stop the array and rebuild with
mdadm --create /dev/md2 --assume-clean --level=5 --chunk --raid-
devices=8 /dev/sdc /dev/sdd /dev/sde /dev/sdf /dev/sdg /dev/sdh /dev/
sdi /dev/sdj

Now it says it's going to take another 10 hours to rebuild.

It's truly hosed now.

I was thinking that too, but I waited until the drive was about 5% recovered and mounted it read-only. It mounted successfully. I was able to cat log files stored there as well as do full listings of tarballs there without interruption. I went ahead and copied a bunch of important things off of that array onto another one and received no complaints from the OS.

What did I miss? I just want to learn and to understand. Perhaps there is documentation that I didn't find via Google and Wikipedia that would explain in more detail how this works that you could direct me to.

Thanks for your kind assistance!

How likely are my data irretrievable/gone and at what step would it
have happened if so?

I hope you have backups cause your going to need them.

What's the likelihood of data corruption despite the fs being browsable and the files accessible like I describe?

If only you posted to the list BEFORE you tried to recover it without
knowing what to do.

Agreed (strongly).

-Ross