Re: 12V computing?

We use 12 volt systems because we already have 12 volt power present for other equipment in our applications. Previously, we used a UPS or battery powered inverter system that ran on --- 12 volts. We decided to "remove the middleman" so to speak. This gives us a number of battery charging options and makes the whole system more efficient then converting the power back and forth 2 or three times, besides saving to cost and space of the additional equipment.

The Via boards and processors running CentOS have been reliable and draw a reasonable amount of power for what they are doing. This may not be the best solution for heavy-duty computing, but in our medium-duty application which involves mostly system management and media conversion using codecs they do just fine.

-Ben

jim wrote:
12VDC is appropriate for places that don't have other electrical supplies. these places include automobiles and boats as well as remote regions that use windmills, creekmills, solar panels, car batteries, and deep discharge gel batteries, possibly in a mix. typically there's noise and variant voltage levels above the nominal 12VDC; any system should be designed to work with spikes, noise, and higher voltages--most are as a matter of course.